Thursday, July 12, 2012

Curious parallels between Philadelphia and Glasgow

When I visited Glasgow in December, 2011, it reminded me of Philadelphia in many ways.  In fact, while I was there a film crew was shooting a Brad Pitt picture, with Glasgow being used for scenes supposedly set in Philadelphia.  (The presence of a huge hill in the "financial district" shots didn't seem to bother the filmmakers, even though Center City Philadelphia is as flat as can be).  Other things I have since learned:

Glasgow is the 5th largest city in Britain.
Philadelphia is the 5th largest city in the USA.

Glasgow has an area of 348 sq km
Philadelphia has an area of 369 sq km

Glasgow has a population of 1.2 million people
Philadelphia has a population of 1.5 million people

Glasgow has two subway lines, operated by the Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT)
Philadelphia has two subway lines, operated by the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority (SEPTA)

I'll see if I can find more fun parallels.


No comments:

Post a Comment