Saturday, December 24, 2011

My favorite place in London

If I had to choose today, it would be Holland Park.  Smaller cousin to Hyde Park, Holland Park is north of where I live, and I can be there in about 15 minutes on the bus.

What I love about Holland Park is that it is three parks in one.  The southern part is open playing fields and wide paths to walk along.  There will usually be cricketers happily sharing the fields with football players, and it is great for pets
The middle section of the park is very upscale and smart (I've learned that the word "posh" has taken on a derogatory meaning, and the appropriate word to say that something is upscale in an admirable way is "smart.")  There is a cafe, carefully tended gardens, and sculpture.






A highlight is the Japanese Peace Garden





Finally, the northern section of Holland Park is woodland, that makes you feel that you are no longer in a big city

They also stage operas in the summertime in a huge tent in Holland Park, although I didn't get to any this past summer (the prices are really steep).

No comments:

Post a Comment